Sunday, December 23, 2012

How I'm spending my December Pt.2

Saturday: I'm out of hospital. Start developing pains in lower abdomen. Vomit.
Sunday-Monday: Nothing memorable
Tuesday: Go back to hospital to do blood tests. Apparently no bleeding (good), but kidney function suddenly turns for the worse. Vomit again.
Wednesday: They put a liter of IV saline trying to "wash out" the kidneys.
Thursday: Another blood test, kidney function is even worse. A procedure is in order. Due to reasons I don't understand, if done as an outpatient, it can only be scheduled a week in advance, while if admitted to the hospital, it could be done tomorrow. I "volunteer" to be admitted. Meanwhile, I mention the abdominal and back pains and the NP suggests I get a slow-release fentanyl pain patch. I've been complaining about back pains for over a year, no one ever mentioned this to me before!
Friday: My urologist shows up and starts with "Well, you got two options..." My interest spikes, as the procedure seemed to be the only logical choice. "You can do nothing and die from kidney failure, or you can undergo this procedure". He wasn't joking! Of course, I sign up for the procedure, drugged, poked and wake up with another hole in my body and a new tube sticking out of it.
Saturday-Sunday: blood pressure is up, they try to get it down, find the drug that works, then take me off it for reasons I still don't understand.
So here I am on a Sunday night - haven't been at my own place for the last two weeks, weak and taking enormous amounts of morphine-based painkillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment